Ingredients (makes about 10 pieces)
200g plain flour
100g wholemeal flour (you can use all plain flour)
30g castor sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
A pinch of salt
100g cold unsalted butter, cut in cubes
zest of 1 lemon
130g natural yoghurt
1 large egg
1 egg, beaten for brushing the top of the scones (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200 Degree Celsius.
2. In a big mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add in butter and use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly. This step takes about 1-2 minutes. Add in the lemon zest and mix well.
3. Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and yoghurt lightly to combine. Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture, pour in the wet mixture and use your fingers to mix quickly to form a dough. Again, this step takes about 1-2 minutes. Do not knead the dough. Don't worry if there are some loose crumbs.
4. Place the dough and loose crumbs on the lightly floured surface, fold the dough 2-3 times and pat it into a disc about 1.5cm thick. Use a scone cutter to cut as many scones. Gently knead the remaining dough together and repeat until all dough is used.
5. Place them on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart and brush the top of the scones with some egg wash.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes or till golden brown.
7. Cool on rack. Serve warm or cooled with jam/cream.