This is a light cheesecake with a hint of soya bean and tofu flavour. I first tried this cheesecake at Sun with Moon Japanese restaurant and have always return for this expensive small piece of cake. I am really happy to find and tried this recipe. This taste is not 100% the same, but I really like this homemade version. This recipe is adapted from anncoojournal.com
Tofu Cheesecake (using 8" inch round pan)
Step 1 - Make Biscuit Base
120g digestive biscuits, crushed (about 8 pieces)
80g melted unsalted butter
1. Place biscuits in a bag. Crush it with your hand.
2. Combine crushed biscuit crumbs and melted butter together in a bowl.
3. Pour the mixture into a 8 inches round spring form pan and press down firmly. Chill in the refrigerator for later use. I like to lay a piece of parchment paper like this. It is easier to lift up the cake when done.
Step 2 - Make Cheese Filling
300g pressed tofu ( I used Unicurd Pressed Tofu from Ntuc )
250g philadelphia cream cheese (room temperature)
200g natural yogurt
60g soya milk (reduced sugar)
100g Icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the gelatin
15g gelatin powder
70g soya milk ( reduced sugar)
1. Wrap tofu in cheesecloth ( or any clean cloth ). Place in on a rack. Press out water from tofu by placing a heavy object on top for about 10-20 mins.
2. Soak gelatine powder in 70g soya milk and leave aside for about 5 minutes.
3. Add cream cheese, soya milk, tofu, vanilla extract, yogurt and icing sugar into the blender and blend till very smooth.
4. Heat gelatine powder mixture over a warm water double boiler and stir till melted and add to cream cheese mixture and blend well.
5. Spoon or pour cream cheese filling over the crumbs mixture and gently shake or tap to release air trapped inside.
6. Chill in refrigerator for at least 4-5 hours or overnight.
7. To unmould, run the tip of a spatula along the circumference before you unlock the pan.
8. To serve , dip knife in hot water before slicing. Dust with a bit of green tea powder or you could serve with fruit compote.