This is my mum's recipe. It is a quick soup which takes only about 20-25 minutes. Best with steamed rice and i always serve it with sliced chilli and soy sauce as dipping sauce for the fish. I used red greasy grouper today, you can use other fish like batang.
苦瓜鱼片汤 ( Bitter gourd Fish Slices Soup )
Ingredients (serves 2)
1 block of silken tofu, cut into large cubes
1 mini bittergourd, thinly sliced
1 big handful of mini tomatoes
1 large slice of old ginger
300g of red greasy grouper fillet, sliced
Coriander for garnish
Fresh red chilli, sliced
1. Bring 700ml of water to boil.
2. Add ginger slice, tomatoes, tofu, and bittergourd into the boiling water. Bring to boil again and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the bittergourd is cooked. Season with soy sauce and pepper.
3. Slice the fish fillet and season lightly with salt and pepper.
4. When the bittergourd is cooked, add the sliced fish. It takes only 1-2 minutes to cook the fish.
5. Garnish with coriander and serve immediately with steamed rice and dipping sauce.