I like to make this for afternoon snack for the kids. They love it with vanilla ice-cream. This recipe has a good balance of apple and crumble. Simple and delicious !
Recipe adapted from Jaime Oliver's Apple Crumble Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into chunks
1 tablespoon of water
Zest of half a lemon
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
50g rolled oats
35g wholemeal flour
20g brown sugar
35g unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
2 tablespoon of brown flaxseed meal (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 190 degree celsius.
2. Put the apple, sugar, water, cinnamon powder and lemon zest into a pan and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. While the apple is cooking, prepare the crumble. Add rolled oats, flour, brown sugar and flaxseed meal into a mixing bowl. Add butter and use your fingers to rub until the mixture is crumbly.
4. Transfer the apples, including the liquid if any into a shallow baking dish. Top with the crumble mixture and bake for about 20 minutes till golden brown and the apples are cooked.
5. Serve warm with or without vanilla ice-cream . Sometimes , i will have it with a dollop of greek yoghurt instead of ice-cream.