3 egg yolks (medium egg)
50g castor sugar
20g cake flour or plain flour
250g fresh milk
15g unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Add 3 yolks and sugar to a mixing bowl. Whisk till sugar has dissolved and creamy.
2. Sift in the flour and mix to combine. Set aside.
3. Add milk. vanilla extract and butter into a saucepan. Stir to melt the butter and warm up the mixture. Do not bring to boil. As soon as you see steam , remove from heat.
4. Pour the hot milk mixture slowly into the egg yolk mixture, whisking at the same time to combine.
5. Sift the mixture back into the saucepan. This helps to remove any lumps.
6. Using low heat, cook the mixture and whisking constantly. The mixture will thicken to form custard rather quickly.
7. Once cooked, pour the custard into a bowl. Cover with cling wrap immediately. Ensure the cling wrap touches the surface of the custard, This is to prevent forming of a layer of skin on the surface.
8. Chill in the fridge until ready to use. You can use it for fruit tarts, choux, dorayaki, crepe cake, cream puff ... etc