These mini steamed cakes are really easy to make. If you are fast, 20mins is all you need. Fresh Yuzu is not always available here in Singapore. I have used Yuzu jam aka Korean Citron for this steamed cakes. I love the citrus smell and taste. Korean Citron is available at most supermarket and is usually used to make Citron Tea.
Makes 4 pieces
1 tbsp canola / sunflower oil
3 tbsp Honey Citron (jam form, don't add water)
3.5 tbsp natural yoghurt
1/2 cup plain flour (75g)
1 tsp baking powder
1. You need 4 ramekins or small bowls. Place a muffin/cupcake liner into each and set aside.
2. Fill your steamer or a big pot or wok with water. Turn on the heat and bring it to a boil.
3. In a big bowl, beat egg lightly using fork or balloon whisk. Add all other wet ingredients and mix to combine. You don't have to beat till light and fluffy, well combined will do.
4. Sift dry ingredients into mixture in step 1. Mix well with spatula or whisk to combine. Ensure no lumps and a smooth batter. If the peels are too long, you can use a kitchen scissor to snip it .
5. Scoop into muffin/cupcake liners place in a ramekin or small bowl , 2/3 filled. Steam on medium low for 10 minutes.
6. Remove and cool on rack.
The top of the cake will not look nice if water from the cover drips on it, so don't place them too close to the edge . You can also wrap the cover with a cloth, this helps to prevent dripping.