This is one of our favourite peranakan dish. It is a very flavourful chicken stew dish cooked with fermented soya bean, mushroom and potatoes. I like to add carrots and black fungus. Adapted from a recipe shared by Singapore Home Cooks group.
Ayam Pongteh (Serves 4)
4 chicken drumsticks8 dried mushroom , soaked
6 medium potatoes , peeled and halved
2 medium carrots , peeled and cut into big pieces (optional)
10 pieces of small/medium dried black fungus, soaked (optional)
5 cloves of garlic , sliced5 shallots , sliced
1 tablespoon fermented soy bean
1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon powder
11/2 tablespoon Gula Melaka
1 tablespoon dark soy
1 tablespoon light soy
Water ( enough to cover ingredients will do )
Dash of pepper
1. Using low heat, add some oil to wok, add in ingredients A and sauté for 1-2 minutes .
2. Add in chicken and cooked for about few minutes each side
3. Add in seasoning, mushroom and black fungus and bring to boil.
4. Add in carrots and potato and simmer till they are cooked .
5. Served with steamed rice.