I make muffins regularly. I usually make muffins with milk or yoghurt and I prefer those made with yoghurt as they are more moist and soft. Today I made muffins with sour cream because I have some sour cream to clear, haha. I am very happy with the taste and texture of these muffins. Moist and soft and bursting with tart-sweet berries with a hint of orange zest. They are not too sweet and they smell great too !
Recipe adapted from Home Baked Comfort Cookbook.
Orange Berry Muffins (make 8 medium muffins)
1 cup of all-purpose flour (155g)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
60g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
75g castor sugar
Orange zest of half an orange
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
125g sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 200 Degree Celsius.
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add salt and set side.
3. In another bowl, beat butter, sugar and orange zest with a balloon whisk or handheld whisk for about 3-4 minutes till fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla extract and beat to combine. Lastly, add in sour cream and beat to combine.
4. Using a spatula, add dry mixture in batches into the wet mixtures and fold to combine.
|After folding in flour|
5. Lastly, fold in berries. Note that the batter is rather thick.
6. Scoop into muffin liners about 80% full and bake for about 15-18 minutes or till skewer comes out clean.
7. Cool on rack.