250g raw sunflower seeds
about 1.5 - 2 tablespoons of soft brown sugar
few dashes of cinnamon powder
few dashes of paprika powder
a pinch of salt
1 egg white
1. Pour the sunflower seeds into a skillet/pan. No oil is required. Using low heat, toast the seeds for about 10-15 minutes until light golden brown. Use a spoon to turn the seeds every now and then. Set aside when done.
2. Add soft brown sugar, cinnamon powder, paprika powder and salt to a small bowl. Mix well and set side. You can adjust the amount and use other spices according to your preference. e.g cayenne powder, chilli powder, cumin powder, nutmeg powder, garlic powder.
3. Beat an egg white till fluffy. Pour the egg white over the sunflower seeds and give it a good mix to coat the seeds. Add the spice and sugar mixture and mix well to coat.
4. Using low heat, toast the seeds for about 5 minutes or till dry and crisp. Turn the seeds with a spoon constantly.
5. Let cool and store in airtight containers. Eat as snack or use it as toppings for salad, breakfast cereal, ice-cream and etc.