I love anything with lemon. This cake is really simple to make. It is fluffy, light, a bit tart and not too sweet. Sometimes, if I have extra lemon juice, I will do a simple glaze by adding icing sugar to the extra lemon juice until it is thick and creamy and drizzle over the cake. My kids love the cake with glaze.
Lemon Yoghurt Cake ( serves 4-6 )
180ml sunflower/canola oil
280g plain yoghurt
210g fine castor sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
300g self-rising flour
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree.
2. In a mixing bowl, add eggs, oil, lemon juices, zest, yoghurt and sugar and whisk to combine.
3. Sift flour into mixture and mix well to combine. Batter should be smooth and thick.
4. Line baking pan with parchment paper. I used a rectangular 28cm by 20cm pan. The cake will rise to about twice its height. You can use any pan as long as there is enough space for the cake to rise.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Cool on a rack. Dust with icing sugar and lemon or orange zest before serving.
To make simple lemon glaze, use about 1.5 to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add icing sugar, a small teaspoon each time and mix well to dissolve. Once you get a thick and whitish shiny glaze, it is good enough. Drizzle on the cooled cake in any way you like. I usually let my kids do this job.