Always our favourite for afternoon tea.
Citrus Madeleines (makes about 24 large pieces)
250g plain flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
150g castor sugar
zest of 1 lemon
zest of 1 orange
125g unsalted butter
1. Melt the butter and let cool. Set aside
2. Combine flour and baking powder into a bowl. Set aside.
3. Add sugar and eggs into another bowl (larger one) and whisk until pale and doubled in volume. It will take couple of minutes by hand.
4. Sift the flour mixture in step 2 into the egg mixture. Fold to combine.
5. Pour in the milk gradually and stir to combine , adding the zests at the same time.
6. Lastly, add in the melted butter and mix to combine.
7. Cover the batter and keep in the fridge until ready to bake.
8. Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius .
9. Brush the madeleine mould with a thin layer of butter. Dust a thin layer of flour over each mould. This helps to prevent the madeleine from sticking.
10. Fill each mould and bake for about 10-12 minutes.
11. Let cool on a rack or serve warm.