Ingredients (makes 12-16 pieces depending on size of cutter)
450g plain flour ( substitute 1/3 with wholemeal flour for healthier option)
2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
100g chilled and diced unsalted butter
50g soft brown sugar or castor sugar
2 egg yolks
250ml whole milk or Milk Kefir
zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juices
1. Preheat oven to 220 degree celsius.
2. Sift flour , salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add butter and use your fingers to gently rub the butter in until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add sugar and mix well to combine.
3. Add 1 egg yolk , lemon juice and vanilla extract to milk. Beat lightly to combine.
4. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Pour in the milk mixture and gently mix with your hand till almost combined.
5. Turn the dough (which can be a bit soft and sticky at the moment) onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently knead the dough and pat into a disc of about 1.5cm to 3cm (according to your preference)
6. Dip the circular cutter in flour to prevent it sticking. Stamp out as many scones and arrange them on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart. The scones do expand quite a bit. Gather the remaining dough and repeat.
7. Brush the top with the other egg yolk.