I am a big fan of scones. I have made scones with milk, buttermilk, yoghurt and sour cream. Sour cream scone is my favourite as it is crusty on the outside and moist and fluffy inside. Scones lover, give it a try, you will love it.Ingredients (makes 8 pieces)
150g /1 cup plain flour
150g /1 cup wholemeal flour (you can use all plain flour)
40g - 50g castor sugar (according to your preference)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
A pinch of salt
100g cold unsalted butter, cut in cubes
zest of 1 lemon
120g sour cream
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of cold milk to brush the top of the scones (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200 Degree Celsius.
2. In a big mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add in butter and use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly. This step takes about 1-2 minutes. Add in the cranberries and lemon zest and mix well.
3. Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and sour cream lightly to combine. Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture, pour in the wet mixture and use your fingers to mix quickly to form a dough. Again, this step takes about 1-2 minutes. Do not knead the dough. Don't worry if there are some loose crumbs.
4. Place the dough and loose crumbs on the lightly floured surface, fold the dough 2-3 times and pat it into a round disc about 2.5cm thick. Use a sharp knife and cut the disc into 8 pieces.
5. Place them on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart and brush the top of the scones with some milk. Bake for about 15 minutes or till golden brown.
6. Cool on rack. You can serve with strawberry jam/cream. They are great on its own too.